Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Save Ferris on MTV

I just saw Save Ferris' music video for their take on Come On Eileen this morning. I don't know if it's a good thing but at least more people are appreciating this band to whom I was introduced by the movie 10 Things I Hate About You. It may have been a mediocre (albeit loads of fun) movie, but it introduced me to Letters to Cleo and Save Ferris. I thought Letters to Cleo's songs (frontgirl Kaye Hanlon) were edgier, more raw (indie chick bands rule!), but I ended up liking Save Ferris more because they were more fun.

Yes, I admit it, though ska is almost dead, I like a ska band. Come to think of it, I like ska in general. I think it's very uplifting. I liked the Mighty Mighty Boss Tones and the Brownbeat All Stars, I kind of like Jeepney Joyride (although I won't admit it to their lead vocalist who's my officemate), I like No Doubt (although theirs is a fusion of different types of music, but Spiderwebs was a different story). But I think I like Save Ferris the most because they can make a thoroughly nonsensical song (take Spam: "Spam, it's pink and it's oval/Spam, I buy it at the Mobil/Spam, it's made in Chernobyl/Spam") and make it grooohveh babeh! And songs about shitty lovers (take "Lies" and "Goodbye") make you smile and bop around. Cute.

Finally. Maybe I like them the most because of total big-boned babe Monique Powell. Ahhhh. Sweet.
Monique

No comments: