Thursday, September 04, 2003

Telemarketers: Worse than Teletubbies...?


circa Aug. 12

HSBC Telemarketer #1:
Ma'am, you have been pre-approved for an HSBC card.

Not-so-busy me:
I'm really not interested, I already have two credit cards.

HSBC Telemarketer #1:
Ma'am, we have a really good program and it's very convenient. We'll just need your name and address so that we can send the card and then you don't need to activate.

Not-so-busy me:
Ok. [Gives name and address, just to be done with the conversation]

HSBC Telemarketer #1:
And Ma'am I will also need your mother's maiden name, your TIN, etc., etc., etc.

A-little-peeved-and-suspicious me:
Why do you need all this information?! On second thought, never mind about sending me the card.

__________

circa Aug. 20

HSBC Telemarketer #2:
Ma'am, would you be interested in getting an HSBC card. All employees of [our company] have been pre-approved.

Busy me:
Sorry, I'm really not interested.

HSBC Telemarketer #2:
Ma'am, we have a good card, and there's are many conveniences and discounts...

Busy me:
Can I forward your call to someone who might be interested?
[Forwards call to operator.]

__________

circa 1:30pm today

HSBC Telemarketer #3:
Hi Ma'am, I would like to offer the new HSBC card.

Quite-busy me:
Is there someone in particular you would like to speak to?

HSBC Telemarketer #3:
Actually Ma'am, anyone from this local who is a regular employee of your company. You're all pre-approved for HSBC credit cards.

Lying-through-the-teeth me:
Sorry I'm just a temp.
[Hangs up.]



Yes, I'm a bitch.

I know that they're only doing their job and that most of their income is commission-based but now I understand the aversion felt by people towards salesmen, phone or otherwise, especially when you're rushing an audit report for your boss's meeting and a persistent telemarketer with a cloying voice and an annoying accent is on the other line.

I did get my Citibank clear card through a telemarketer forwarded by my friend, so there must be an upside. At the time I desperately needed to transfer the balance of my other credit card. But this time, two cards are enough for me, and I would think that the HSBC telemarketers shouldn't do the rounds of our company every two weeks! Talk about hard-sell.

I just feel sometimes that if you say no firmly, okay, twice, then that's it. Enough already.

No comments: