Friday, May 21, 2004

the must-watch list


Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet play embittered lovers who try to erase memories of each other--but somehow still end up drawn to each other even after their selective amnesia. It's said to be funny and poignant, thought-provoking and entertaining--and maybe I want to see the Jim Carrey of The Truman Show back.

Shrek 2
Meet the Parents, Shrek-style. Splendid! I heard Prince Charming is going to try to win Fiona back and he's going to be voiced by so-sexy (but so-sexily-gay) Rupert Everett. Also, Antonio Banderas steals the show as Puss In Boots. Wonderful.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint are all growing up before our eyes! This is my favorite book of the series, and although I was disappointed that Sirius Black would be played by Gary Oldman, I will definitely DEFINITELY see this movie, if only to see what Alfonso Cuaron makes of it. I do hope it's more A Little Princess than Y Tu Mama Tambien. Teehee.

Secret Window
Johnny Depp and a suspense thriller. I think that's worth seeing.

Catwoman
Halle Berry. Catsuit. 'Nuff said. (Am really turning into a man.)

The Chronicles of Riddick
Okay, so it's Vin Diesel. But still--good sci-fi and a good supporting cast might actually make a Vin Diesel movie watchable.

and also
21 Grams
Thirteen
Jersey Girl
Mystic River
The Human Stain

nyco maca
My sister's batchmate was the American Idol-er-Star in a Million monthly winner last month. Her name is Nyco Maca (her Christian name is Nicole, but this one has quite a ring to it); and she sang a Lauren Hill song earlier. She's really quite good, this being the first time that I've heard her sing. I think that she has a shot at making it in the "Grand Finals". She has a powerful voice that can do soul, hiphop, what-have-you--like what could have been if Camile Velasco had done things right. (Touche!)

and finally on american idol
Jasmine Trias booted out of 'American Idol'. It was about time. I know I "should" be rooting for her because she's a Fil-Am and everything but like Camile Velasco before her, she was quite obviously outclassed by the other contestants. I really thought it would be a LaToya-Diana final, but apparently it's Fantasia-Diana. I don't really like Fantasia that much, but at this point, it's anyone's game. Maybe it depends on who falters in the final show.

No comments: