Sunday, February 08, 2004

funky songs

Been hearing Milkshake by Kelis a lot over the weekend. It's a very catchy number (I can't believe I'm actually considering it a song); although with a very risque video... after all... they're using milkshake, it seems, as a euphemism for a certain sexual favor. Kelis seems to be the new poster child of a growing social clique--the black bimbo (as opposed to the blonde bimbo).

My Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
And they're like it's better than yours
Damn right it's better than yours
I could teach you
But I have to charge


~~~

Then there's that really funky Holidae Inn collaboration by Chingy (of Right Thurr fame, looks like my kid cousin), Ludakris and Snoop Doggy Dog. Snoop Dog actually looks human (and less like a dog). This has already been played quite a lot (I remember Common Ground a few days after New Year, everyone knew it when it was played). People who know me from way back are often quite surprised that my tastes in music have become quite varied. I used to be a solid pop- and glam-rock girl. Good thing I've decided to broaden my horizons a bit! I guess I was missing out on a lot by being too snobbish towards rap/hiphop. Sometimes I don't consider them "serious" music but I guess that's leftover snobbery for you. These songs are totally entertaining and decidedly an integral part of the world view of culture today.

No comments: