Saturday, July 24, 2004

in the news and then some

PinoySlayers' anniversary today, whee! It's been three years and going strong (of course I have only been around for a year or so, I think). Visit the Pinoyslayers at the official site and at the Yahoo!groups site.

-oOo-

Apparently, a building collapsed in Divisoria yesterday. It was a 5-year-old, 8-storey building which was across a Jollibee that my mom and I used to frequent the time that we were in Divisoria a lot. The building had apparently been leaning for quite a while and just suddenly gave way. It was a miracle that there were no casualties. I do hope the building contractors and inspectors are given hell for allowing this to happen. Divisoria is one of the busiest trading districts in Metro Manila and if there was no warning, people could easily have been trapped in the rubble.

-oOo-

You know you've got it made when CNN reports on your break-up. Too bad. I thought Jake and Kirsten (naks, first name basis) were perfect for each other--although I didn't particularly like either of them. Ah, the foibles of youthful romance. And dang! I feel so old writing that.

-oOo-

"It's not like I'm going to date a 30-year-old. Unless it's Jude Law! My parents and I have an agreement that dating him would be Okay," says now-legal Lindsay Lohan. So cute, this sweetie-pie, who now apparently commands $7.5M per movie. And although (21-year-old) Sienna Miller has beaten her to Jude Law, she is dating a 24-year-old, Wilmer Valderrama of That 70s Show (yes, Fez). Totally wonderful.

-oOo-

According to PopBitch, Elizabeth Taylor has started writing her obituary following the demise of fellow screen legend Marlon Brando. Apparently it is now 10 pages long and she's not yet done. Hurrah for someone who thinks so highly of herself--but it's an obituary, Liz! I think she should start on her autobiography.

-oOo-

Tidbits: Apparently, this is Nicole Kidman before she had a stylist. And then here's a nice still with the guy for whom I'd watch King Arthur over again even if I snickered at some parts, Mads Mikkelsen playing Tristan--yes, the guy with the hawk. I don't know why but I find him terribly appealing in a scary sort of way. Kirstie Alley will be producing and starring in a reality show called "Fat Actress". A girl after my own heart. And finally there's talk of Brent Spiner guesting on Star Trek: Enterprise. Woohoo for Data. Apparently he will be playing the great-great-grandfather of Data's creator (and image and likeness) Noonien Soong.

-oOo-

The Vintage Black-and-White Film Photography participants are showcasing their works in Back to Black-and-White at the Filipinas Heritage Library. Some of my favorites are those of the reflection of a busy street on a metal knob by Hector Fernando, Jr., as well as the picture of a man by dripping water by Catherine Sy.

-oOo-

While bringing the mother-unit to work yesterday morning, a man crossed the road in front of us bearing a little furry thing that upon closer inspection turned out to be a little brown monkey. He was headed towards a talyer (car repair shop) near our house. Monkeys in car garages. Perfect combination.

Last Song Syndrome : Babylon - David Gray

No comments: