Thursday, January 22, 2004

new things

new license
Spent about an hour at the LTO in Makati this morning. But am glad, I finally have the new license. Dad insisted we get a 'fixer' and I felt so bad about it, but nevertheless I think it hastened things up because some people were there before we were and I was done before they were, and they didn't have to replace their license (there's more paperwork and stuff and they're supposed to be stricter when you lose it, I think). So there. I have a temporary license that's valid until June 22. And then I have to go back and get my real card. Oh well. The hassles of wallet loss.

~~~

new shoes
Splurged a bit last weekend (when I still had my credit cards, before I lost the wallet). I bought a pair of Reebok Pristine III Low cross-trainers in White/Powder Blue/Carbon. They have non-marking soles so that I can use them in those snooty places that won't allow you to play on their beloved taraflex unless you're in gum soles or non-marking soles. Oh well. And since they were relatively cheap (2k), I still had some money left over from my budget so I went and bought a pair of sneakers. Just Trets, that's all I could afford. The Pumas were worth a look (since people are saying they are so in now) but they were a bit too masculine for me. Call me dull or what, I just got off-white sneaks.

~~~

new place 1
Went to Vox, this videoke-bar-thingy along Alfaro, near our old office. Only the second time I have been to a videoke bar (the one where everyone can hear you sing and not those private rooms). [The first time I was with Co-conspirator at the type of bar where there are girls you can table. Not a good experience. It was hangover night.] This one was more fun, and the head of our billing department did render a song. Guys in the other table were quite rowdy; actually found one of them cute, the clown of the group who actually had a good singing voice. Ah feh.

~~~

new place 2
Ry introduced me and Allan to Pete's Place (or is it Pete's place?), this converted garage behind a gym where some people jam during weekends. It's very much a private thing, and I'm glad we got invited (again, thanks to Ry). Before that, though, when there weren't any people at Pete's Place yet, we were at the home of Mrs. M., mother of Ry's ex-boss M. Mrs. M. is an actress and a grow-your-own-herbs enthusiast. She was such a nice person, which I think I was surprised to discover, because the characters that I've grown accustomed to her playing on TV were usually intimidating women.

Things started heating up around 11:30pm and boy, could those guys play. It was an eclectic mix of music. Ry sang a couple of songs (wonderful voice this girl) and I got to hear a lot of gossip on the side. Ry said that she was planning to have me date TM (brother of M) before, although that never materialized. I think he used to come out in movies too, although more of the adult genre. Who knows, there may yet be something else new there.

~~~

Am just reminded of the Emirates (?) commercial airing on cable: When's the last time you did something for the first time? I'm glad that I decided to try out some new things. I've never been a thrill-seeker or very outgoing, but I think it's healthy for you to do that every once in a while.

No comments: