Friday, January 30, 2004

awards crazy

They say that the Broadcast Film Critics' Association awards are the new harbinger of the Oscars. It used to be the Golden Globes. Well either way, it signifies a win for Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I like the BFCA awards because they gave out a Best Acting Ensemble award... and of course it went to the RoTK crew. No one particularly shone enough to have an individual acting award (although a lot of people say Andy Serkis should have been commended), but the ensemble cast, as a whole, came together wonderfully and really fleshed out the story. And of course I'm biased.

Actually I don't know why I'm all crazy over awards during the first quarter of the year. Hollywood awards, mind you, not your FAMAS, or FAP, or Star Awards or Urian (although sometimes I do check out the Star Awards for Television). Of course I figure it's because I watch a whole lot of Hollywood movies compared to Filipino movies; and of course there's all that glitz and glamour. And as for the Oscars, there's always the entertaining stuff like the intro (people are betting on whether Billy Crystal will be dressed as a Hobbit or as -Captain- Jack Sparrow), unlike the Golden Globes which are pretty darn straightforward. I always like rooting for the films that I actually watched and liked, and this year, more than ever, it seems personal because one of my most favorite movies of all time is nominated--The Return of the King, culmination of that epic trilogy, just must win. It's nice to affirm something that you just love.

move over, viggo and orli
I totally like Orlando Bloom. I like the way he looks and the way he gives interviews. I like the movies choices that he has made (or rather that his agent has made for him). But most of all, I like him for giving a face to one of my most beloved characters in the Lord of the Rings saga. However, I think that Orli has gone too mainstream for my comfort. I don't like it when my crushes (eeek! high school term!) get that way; case in point: Ricky Martin. When Menudo first came over everyone was all Charlie and Robby Rosa, but I liked the runty Ricky Martin. I had the tapes, posters, pins, anything I could get a hand on. When he was all grown and still just known in Puerto Rico and just had small guest spots in some daytime soaps, I was still singing his praises. But once Livin' La Vida Loca made waves, I think I stopped paying attention. The same seems to be true of Orlando Bloom, although I will always consider him cute, he's way too mainstream for me. Ayokong may ka-share.

Viggo Mortensen and Orlando Bloom are the main hunks--alpha males if you may--of the LoTR films. However, there are two underrated but quite crush-worthy other men in the LoTRverse and I don't go for hobbits or wizards. Eomer (Karl Urban) and Faramir (David Wenham) are both quite remarkable actually. Physically, Urban with the looks of a professional (no-it's-not-playacting) wrestler, and Wenham with a more handsome and intellectual look. Eomer... well, he was more a brawns type of fellow for me, but Karl Urban reminds me so much of Test (whom I liked once upon a time in WWF!) that I liked him. Hehe. How superficial. Eomer, as with Legolas, represents a staunch warrior class; as opposed to Aragorn and Faramir who were the "administrators". In the books, I actually liked Faramir more than Aragorn... maybe it was the circumstances of his life and how he coped with a disturbed father and still turned out okay. I'm glad that he eventually married Eowyn (not in the movie--but if you were maintriga enough you would wonder why they should be side by side at Aragorn's coronation when they didn't know each other).

So there. I also like Billy Boyd, and of course Elijah Wood's skin is quite to-die-for, but as I said, I don't go for hobbits. I'd cheer one of them on for Best Director at all award-giving bodies though (all hail Peter Jackson!).

No comments: