Saturday, November 22, 2003

signs of the times

FPJ or Ping. There is no lesser of two evils.
__________

Two of my closest friends were at Planet Badminton on J. Victor street when it was held up Thursday night. Robbers were in and out in five minutes max, as their companion put it, it was really "wham bam, thank you ma'am". It was a good thing that no one got hurt and they were especially lucky that they were in the farthest court so none of their belongings were taken. The poor people in the courts nearest the door lost all their stuff--cellphones, wallets, entire badminton bags and even the rackets inside the bags...
__________

When our agency system had its first run in May this year, the peso-dollar rate was PhP52.07 to US$1. The peso-dollar rate for this run is PhP55.29 to US$1. All in the span of 7 months. Depressing.
__________

Betty Chua Sy was kidnapped last week and it seems she was accidentally killed by her kidnappers. I was disturbed but it was no longer that appalling because people were (are) being killed and kidnapped left and right. However, I found out that she was the eldest sister of a good friend of mine, Walter. Walter was my co-teacher and I used to ride home with him constantly (after WarCraft matches) because my house was on the way to Ayala, where he would pick up his girlfriend. Countless afternoons and conversations made us fast friends. Although I lost touch with him in recent years after he got married, his eldest sister's brutal and senseless killing still got to me, that someone so close to me would be so hurt. To see his father distraught upon losing his only daughter was also heart-rending because I know my father would react the same way if any of his daughters were lost that way.

Crime on one side, criminal politicians on the other. Am so glad that I am a Filipino.
__________

Forgive my once-in-a-blue-moon rant against the government. Need an outlet for burgeoning depression at the state of Philippine affairs. Need a therapeutic massage. (Ha!)

No comments: