Friday, September 10, 2004

the call of home

Things didn’t push through with Pi and Bespren J. tonight. Earlier, at work, JP popped-up this message: “Does people who work regular hours have to go out on Friday nights?” Apparently, Eych was missing him and wanted to go out and it was becoming a big deal. However, JP had been sick these past few days and I could see that he was exhausted. I answered honestly: No. There comes a time when you have to spend some time recuperating from the stress of the week, prioritizing your own well-being as well as that of your wallet.

Tonight I am staying home, foregoing two other possible gimmicks, aside from the aborted dinner with Pi and J. Sometimes it just feels a bit sad, or pathetic, because you’re at home while the rest of the town is whooping it up. But they aren’t. A lot of people are also at home, preparing for an early Saturday. A lot of people can’t afford to go out regularly. Some people are already at the airport because they are flying out (DnA, enjoy your delayed honeymoon). So there. I figured, I could feel sorry for myself because I wasn’t out, but I could also embrace the fact that for the first time in not a few days, I have time to rest and meditate. Not to mention stock up on much needed rest for what will be a grueling next few weeks.

shiny, happy
Channel-surfing yielded shiny, happy stuff:

On Studio23, The Swan featured extreme changes on this contestant named Cindy, who went from looking like a witch with a hook nose to looking like… a regular Filipina. Great.

On National Geographic, the topic was asteroids. I am always entranced by those big shiny things in the sky—I think it’s an offshoot of my not being interested in people but in bigger things. I’m continually reminded that I’m a speck of dust in an infinite universe.

On AXN, Brad Pitt in The Devil’s Own. I remember watching this in college in a packed cinema. I think it was one of my first exposures to the hunka burnin’ love that is Jennifer Aniston’s hubby. It’s like, Brad just has to smile, and the world is a better place.

Okay snap out of it.

On HBO, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. The battle of Helm’s Deep, and the Ents’ attack on Isengard, in particular. Sigh. Would that we could battle modern-day orcs (corrupt politicians and their henchmen?) and evil could be defeated by burning a Ring… I looked up and smiled at my Legolas action figure.

Last Song Syndrome : Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead

No comments: