Tuesday, August 24, 2004

laking national

Finally went to National and rummaged through the PhP99 hardbound books. (Paperbacks are cheaper at Powerbooks, 20% off.) Came through with the following:
  • Far Horizons - a collection of sci-fi short stories by some of the masters, including editor Robert Silverberg, Orson Scott Card, Anne McCaffrey, and Ursula K. LeGuin. Prized find. Now I have to find a nice matching copy of Legends. Until Legends 3.
  • Jeffrey Archer's To Cut A Long Story Short - admittedly his career is in the doldrums, but I bought this for old times' sake. I want to see if he's still the master storyteller he used to be. Somewhat prized find, if only to add to the Archer collection on my bookshelf. Will probably not compare to A Twist in The Tale, though.
  • Miss Wyoming by Douglas Coupland - one of my favorite authors. Been meaning to get a copy of Miss Wyoming for the longest time (one of the few of his works that I don't have). Apparently this is a sign. Another prized find. (However, someone seems to be selling this at $0.05 used at Amazon. Oh well.)
  • Storyteller's Collection - a collection of Christian short stories. Will read through it to see if I can give it to my ninang, who is in remission from cancer. (After reading the amazon.com reviews, though, I think this is better off with my pastor-officemate.)
  • What Looks Like Crazy on An Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage - a stirring story involving AIDS. Okay, so it's on Oprah's book club. A good book will surpass any cheesy plugging. Teehee.
  • The Nanny Diaries - for a little fun on my end. Promises to be quite juicy. Perfect for being stuck in lines.
  • The Shadow of Albion by Andre Norton and Rosemary Edghill - Book 1 of Carolus Rex. Seems like interesting historical fantasy. Who knows, I might start to love this series.
  • Stonehenge by Bernard Cornwell - adding to my small but growing collection about old Britain and that ring of stones.
  • Children Are From Heaven by John Gray - a gift for DnA. (Seems to be quite a while before I will be needing this.)
Last Song Syndrome : I'm Sensitive - Jewel
I have this theory that if we're told we're bad
Then that's the only idea we'll ever have
But maybe if we are surrounded in beauty
Someday we will become what we see

No comments: