Thursday, March 29, 2007

sanctuary


calla
Originally uploaded by brightblade.

Eventually, I want to get married.

Eventually, I want to get married in this church.

But I don't want to spend half a million to just get married. I don't even want to spend anything. I believe that a lifelong commitment can be made without bells and whistles, designer gowns and a chocolate fountain.

And yet, I am resigned to my fate--white gown, calla lilies, and all. Because. It. Is. What. Is. Done.

I've loved throwing parties, but as the years went by, they became smaller and smaller ones, and I've found that the most meaningful ones are those spent with only my best friends. The thought of throwing one for 200 or so people, about a third of whom I do not know, frankly, daunts me. So is finding the perfect dress, the perfect caterer, the perfect coordinator. A less-than-perfect wedding doesn't mean a bad marriage, after all; neither does the wedding of the year/decade/what-not set the stage for a good marriage. Hello, Charles and Di, anyone?

What's important is that N. and I will be starting our life together on that day, whenever that will be. What's important is that the people who matter, the people we care about and who care about us, will be there to witness it. To heck with personalized napkins and onsite AVPs. For now.

1 comment:

wifeycookie said...

Amen to that. ;)