Friday, June 30, 2006

woe is me, it's payday friday!

I actually left the office at exactly 5:30pm so that I could avoid the crush but it was not to be. There was no Guadalupe jeepney in sight for at least 20 minutes. And after that, they were all filled to the brim. As I was not in the mood to run and jostle around for a place on one of them or the Zapote jeeps(cue in my still-present cough) I decided to have a look-see at the Book Sale at Cityland first. Another twenty minutes of browsing (there was an LoTR omnibus selling for P550, and a Contemporary Home coffeetable book for P750--this is Book Sale?!?!) and I thought the coast could be clear. Unfortunately, it was not. Jeeps were still packed.

I had to take a cab instead, and chanced upon a talkative old driver who was talking up a storm, understandably because of terrible boredom due to the heavy traffic in and around Makati (alas, it's payday Friday!). I learned that he earned an average of 400 a day, used to drive for Japanese expats who were loose with their tips in the early 80s to mid 90s until times changed, and a previous passenger of his had a 70-year-old husband who was still matinik sa chicks. It was actually a nice way to pass the time, including that short treatise on the pine trees planted in front of Toyota Bel-Air ("Sino ba naman mag-aakala no? Diba sa Baguio lang yan?") Yes, Manong. Thanks for the ride!

Last Song Syndrome : Bituing Walang Ningning

No comments: