Sunday, June 20, 2021

on timely mass readings and asking God why

Today's mass readings, the first reading from Job and the gospel of Jesus quieting the storm, basically underscore God's greatness and purpose.


Coincidentally, or maybe, God-willed--today is also the birthday of a special person in my life, who is going through their own storm. When they told me, they were devastated, and I too was afraid for them and in denial of the struggle that they would be facing. Reflections on the gospel though are generally of the same vein, that the storm forces the disciples to see things differently and to have faith in Jesus who set them on that path. I would like to think that it would be the same way for my beloved, that this is a necessary trial to set them on a different path which hopefully will lead to clarity, faith, and strength.


When one receives such news from a loved one, sometimes the knee-jerk reaction is to wish, it should be me instead, Lord, let it be me. And honestly, I was already starting to feel that way. But saying this goes against faith and acceptance of God's plan; it undermines His greatness and purpose. What can we do, then, but trust in His infinite wisdom?


It was His mysterious ways at work yet again--how the mass readings seemed to factor exactly into the current events of my life. When in adolescence, gospels and homilies would go in one ear and our the other, this time it really hit close to home. Seems I've been experiencing that a lot recently. Or maybe because in my middle age, I've truly become more open to actually listening to the Lord.



Last Song Syndrome :

No comments: