Tuesday, March 01, 2005

i hate you for this, appleby!

Appleby made me cry. A few months ago, Appleby started her new blog, Blink and You Miss a Beat. I wondered what 'detamble' meant. Appleby replies with, "It's from The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It's a wonderful book, you should read it." So I looked around Powerbooks for a copy and finally found one a couple of weeks ago, an early Valentine's gift to myself. And what a wonderful gift it was.

I couldn't stop reading it at every possible non-working hour. Heck, I even read it while I was working, sneaking in a few lines every now and then. The Time Traveler's Wife hooks you into an intricate story told in simple yet poignant prose. The sci-fi nature of time travel is woven into a wonderful love story, and chrono-displacement becomes quite probable when placed in the context of everyday life. The laid-back narration of Henry and Clare's sojourn from either's point of view is deceiving: the story is wondrous and thrilling. It made you wonder about destiny, about chance, and about truth.

I didn't know when I started crying, but it was through most of the last hundred pages. It was a great ending, but I didn't want the story to end. All that said, this is a wonderful book. I would recommend it to anyone, in love or not (that's me). It's a timeless (heh!) tale of loyalty and destiny, of love through and despite time.

No comments: