Wednesday, July 14, 2004

little joys on bastille day

When I was in high school, I lived by the ideals of the French Revolution of 1789. As previously mentioned, I was a whole lot more idealistic back then. Despite getting jaded through the years, I've still maintained that romantic view of the terror of 1789, when, beneath the colors of Liberte, Fraternite, Egalite, murders were rampant and the dreaded guillotine was introduced. It was, as Dickens starts A Tale of Two Cities, the best of times, and the worst of times.

Today is Quatorze Juilliet, 215th anniversary of the storming of the Bastille, marking the onset of the French Revolution. France is celebratory. It is just another day around here, of course. Another day of encountering brutish, reckless drivers; and another day of going through the grind. But there were little triumphs and little joys.

Imelda loses legal battle to block documentary
Finally, we will get to see 'Imelda', Ramona Diaz'a much-acclaimed documentary on the life of the Philippines' version of Evita Peron. As I have never met the so-called Iron Butterfly, nor even seen her up close, this is my chance to peel a little off of the layers of the former First Lady's mystique. I want to see more of this person that I partly blame for most of the degeneration of the Philippines.

slurpee
Dropped by the 7-11 near Z.'s office on the way back from the bank this lunchtime. I got myself a bubbglegum Slurpee. This is the first time I've had a Slurpee in--what--five years? Since more than a few months before I left the green-and-white.

this thing called work
Was able to meet almost all of my deadlines before the four-day catatonia. Actually will not actually be catatonia because we will be preparing for my cousin's wedding. The mother-unit is a principal sponsor and zeester #2 is a bridesmaid. Am not going to the province for the wedding, though. Many, many reasons, not the least of which is that I'm not particularly in the mood to be fawned over and looked over from head to toe when I do go there. Maybe next time. Kuya R. understands.
 
crush
Saw an old showbiz crush in the video of Maroon 5's She Will Be Loved today, Kelly Preston. That woman is so beautiful. Maybe it's soft focus, but she doesn't look like she's aged much. Anyway, she plays a Mrs. Robinson-type character in the video, but honestly, looked better than the girl who played her daughter. As usual Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine is the object of affection.
 
spider-man, spider-man
It was funny, emotional, action-packed. Best of all it was free, a treat from Maleen for a late birthday celebration. It didn't feel like the last full show on a Friday night in a cinema far, far away. The comments on the Spidey sequel are posted here.

Last Song Syndrome : She Will Be Loved - Maroon 5

I don't mind spending everyday
Out on your corner in the pouring rain, oh
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile



No comments: